Governor's Press Conference - Highlights from Saturday's (3/21) Conference
Below are the updates from Saturday's press conference with Governor DeWine, Lt. Governor Husted, and Dr. Acton. Today's press conference is scheduled for 2:00 PM. You can watch this on the Ohio Channel, Ohio Public TV (PBS stations), and other Columbus-based outlets.
Here’s the news from Saturday:
- In Ohio there are 247 confirmed cases, 58 individuals being hospitalized, and 3 deaths due to COVID-19. There are confirmed cases in 33 counties across the state.
- Governor DeWine announced that adult day services for individuals with developmental disabilities will be ordered to close. There will be exceptions for groups of less than 10. Read more: Director's Order Adult Day Support For Developmental Disabilities.
- The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) is announcing that insurance premium installment payments due for March, April and May for the current policy year may be deferred until June 1, 2020. At that time the matter will be reconsidered. Additionally, BWC will not cancel coverage or assess penalties for amounts not paid because of COVID-19. For more information here is a link to COVID-19 BWC FAQs or you can visit www.BWC.Ohio.Gov
- The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) will issue waivers for haulers carrying heavy or oversized loads of essential goods. ODOT will also waive the current permit fee for this. HERE is an example of the waiver which haulers can download from ODOT’s website at www.transportation.ohio.gov.
- Yesterday, Governor DeWine announced an executive order closing all senior centers and adult day care facilities going into effect at the end of the day Monday. A copy of the order is HERE.
- A copy of the order closing internet cafes is HERE.
- As a reminder, if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice. This Checklist When You Are Sick is helpful information for individuals if they become ill.
- Ohioans can apply for unemployment benefits online 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at unemployment.ohio.gov. It is also possible to file by phone at 877-644-6562 or TTY at 888- 642-8203, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Employers with questions should email UCTech@jfs.ohio.gov.
As always, www.Coronavirus.Ohio.Gov and the Department of Health hotline, 1-833-4-ASK-ODH are great resources for those who have questions.