Governor DeWine Press Conference Summary for Wednesday, April 22
Below are the updates from yesterday’s press conference with Governor DeWine, Lt. Governor Husted, and Dr. Acton. Today’s press conference is scheduled for 2:00 PM. You can watch this on the Ohio Channel, Ohio Public TV (PBS stations), and other Columbus-based outlets.
Here’s the news from Wednesday:
- Ohio’s COVID-19 case data is below:
- 13,609 confirmed cases
- 508 probable cases
- 14,117 total cases
- 2,882 hospitalizations
- 584 confirmed deaths
- 26 probable deaths
- 610 total deaths
- 880 ICU admissions
- More data is available on the COVID-19 Dashboard HERE.
- Dr. Acton announced an order that directs healthcare providers in hospitals and outpatient surgery centers to reassess procedures and surgeries that were postponed by a previous Ohio Department of Health (ODH) order issued on March 17, 2020. The purpose of the original order was to preserve PPE and hospital bed capacity.
- The new order directs healthcare professionals to review any postponed procedures or surgeries with their patients. Doctors and patients should consider the current health situations and make a joint decision about whether or not to proceed. The order also requires that patients be informed of the risk of contracting COVID-19 and the impact during the post-operative recovery process. Attached is additional information and I will share a copy of the new order once it is complete.
- Ohio has its first positive case of COVID-19 among the juvenile corrections population. This individual started showing symptoms on Monday evening and was immediately isolated. All of the youth in this individual’s unit are being monitored for symptoms. Contact-tracing with the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and the Cuyahoga County Health Department has already begun.
- The Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (MHAS) announced a new resource for people who are struggling with stress and need emotional support during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Individuals can call the COVID CareLine toll-free at 1-800-720-9616 to speak confidentially with a trained professional. Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. After 8:00 PM, the calls will be forwarded to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Ohioans can apply for unemployment benefits online 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at unemployment.ohio.gov. It is also possible to file by phone at 877-644-6562 or TTY at 888- 642-8203, Monday through Friday 7AM to 7PM, Saturday 9AM to 5PM, and Sunday 9AM to 1PM. Employers with questions should email UCTech@jfs.ohio.gov.
As always, Coronavirus.Ohio.Gov and the Department of Health hotline, 1-833-4-ASK-ODH are great resources for those who have questions.